Check the list below for the actions you are careful about.
- I know what my medications are and when I have to take them.
- I don't take pain pills like ibuprofen (Motrin®, Advil®) or Naprosyn (Aleve®), especially if I have ascites.
- I don't take too many Tylenol® (acetominophen) pills, and I never take Tylenol with alcohol. I read the labels and know the contents of all my medicines.
- I cut down on salt (sodium), read food labels, and avoid canned or prepared foods, especially if I have ascites.
- I avoid sleeping pills or tranquilizers.
- If my provider tells me to take lactulose, I take enough to move my bowels two or three times a day.
- I never let myself get constipated. If it happens, I tell my health care provider.