for Veterans and the Public
Deciding to start treatment
In general, doctors suggest treatment if you:
- have a liver biopsy that shows damage (inflammation, and particularly fibrosis)
- have early cirrhosis but are not ill
- have HIV in addition to HCV
- are wanting and are motivated to be treated
- are otherwise in good health or with well controlled other medical problems
- have acute hepatitis C (been infected within the last 6 months)
If you want to start treatment for hepatitis C, speak with your VA doctor. It is a good idea to talk about any concerns you have before you start treatment. You and your doctor will decide if treatment is right for you and which medicines might work.
For more details on starting treatment and watchful waiting, see the Treatment Decisions section.