for Veterans and the Public
Deciding on a treatment plan
If you are ready to start drug therapy, talk with your VA health care provider about which treatment plan is right for you.
Many things need to be considered before you begin treatment. Your doctor will need to know more about the amount of the virus in your blood (viral load) and the type of hepatitis C virus (genotype) that you have.
Here are some questions that you should discuss with your doctor:
- Do I need to start treatment?
- What is my genotype and how can it affect my treatment outcome?
- What is my viral load and how can it affect my treatment outcome?
- What kind of treatment should I receive?
- How long will treatment last?
- Do I have any other conditions that will complicate treatment?
- Should I be tested for hepatitis A and B?
- Do I need a liver biopsy?
- What medications should I avoid while I am on treatment?
- What precautions do I need to take while I am on treatment?
- How often will I have doctor appointments?
- What tests will I need to take?
- How will treatment affect my daily life? Will treatment affect my ability to work?
- What side effects will I have?
- Are there any long-term risks from treatment?