for Veterans and the Public
What can you do to help the treatment work best?
Here are some things you can do to make sure that your hepatitis C treatment works best:
- Always follow your health care providers' advice, particularly the instructions on taking your medicine.
- Take good care of yourself. Eat well, drink 8 to 10 glasses of water each day, and try to get a full night's sleep.
- Learn about the hepatitis C medications you are taking. This includes special risks and warnings.
- Practice 2 forms of birth control while on ribavirin, and continue to use birth control for 6 months after the last dose of ribavirin before trying to conceive a child.
- Practice 2 forms of "non-hormonal" birth control while on boceprevir or telaprevir, and continue to use birth control for 6 months after the last dose of ribavirin before trying to conceive a child.
- Keep all your appointments with your doctor. If you have to cancel an appointment, call your doctor and schedule a new one as soon as possible.
- Write down your doctor's name and phone number. Carry this information with you at all times.
- Write the names and amounts of the medicines you are taking. Carry this information with you at all times.
- Check with your doctor before starting new medicines. This includes vitamins, supplements, herbal remedies, prescription drugs, or other over-the-counter drugs.