for Veterans and the Public
Who should consider treatment?
Only patients with hepatitis C in their blood (chronic hepatitis C infection) are considered for therapy. In general, doctors suggest treatment if you:
- have a liver biopsy that showed damage (usually a moderate amount of fibrosis or more)
- are motivated to undergo treatment
- are willing to comply with the necessary steps and tests and visits for treatment
- were very recently (acutely) infected with hepatitis C, within the past 6 months
- are coinfected with HIV or hepatitis B
If you want to start treatment for hepatitis C, speak with your VA doctor. It is a good idea to talk about any concerns you have before you start treatment. You and your doctor will decide if treatment is right for you and which medicines might work.