for Health Care Providers
The Cirrhosis Quicknotes constitute an abbreviated version of the Management and Treatment of Patients with Cirrhosis and Portal Hypertension (2009), developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs Hepatitis C Resource Center Program.
The Cirrhosis Quicknotes provide bottom-line current recommendations regarding management of compensated and decompensated cirrhosis, including guidelines for screening and management of varices and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and guidelines for the management of ascites, encephalopathy, variceal hemorrhage, and spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, including dosages of recommended medications and goals of therapy. They also provide guidance regarding referral for liver transplantation.
Available in two formats:
Downloadable algorithm for a PDA
- Handheld device using Palm OS 3.0 or higher (Palm III or newer: Sony Clie, Treo, Tungsten, Zire). Cirrhosis Quicknotes are currently not available for Windows CE device (Pocket PC, iPAQ).
- Computer running Windows operating system (Windows '98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.)
- Download file: https://downloads.va.gov/files/webops/Cirrhosis3_0.zip
- Double click on the zip file.
- WinZip should open showing the Cirrhosis3.0.exe file
- Double click on this .exe file to open the install program. If warning appears, just click 'Yes' to open the file. (Please note: Many of the VA workstations do not permit downloading files from the Internet. Contact your local IRM for assistance.)
- The QuickNotes Setup window opens. Click 'Next' in the Cirrhosis Quicknotes Installation window.
- Click 'Next' to install to the default location.
- If several Palm accounts use this machine, you will have to select the proper account for the HotSync process.
- Click 'Install.'
- Run HotSync from Palm. When done, click 'Finish.'
- Confirm that the Cirrhosis Quicknotes program is now on your Palm device.