for Health Care Providers
Hepatitis C Quicknotes
The Hepatitis C Quicknotes constitute an abbreviated version of the VA Hepatitis C Treatment Recommendations (2006), developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs Hepatitis C Resource Center Program.
The Hepatitis C Quicknotes provide bottom-line recommendations regarding:
- Screening and testing for hepatitis C
- Antiviral treatment eligibility (including necessary pre-treatment assessment and contraindications)
- Anti-HCV post-test strategies
- Endpoints of anti-HCV treatment and antiviral treatment strategy (including dosages and dose modification guidelines)
Where appropriate, they provide links to the documents for using erythropoietin and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor for hepatitis C treatment-related anemia and neutropenia, from the VHA Pharmacy Benefits Management Strategic Health Care Group and Medical Advisory Panel.
Available in three formats:
Start here: Screening and Testing
Downloadable algorithm for a PDA
- Handheld device using Palm OS 3.0 or higher (Palm III or newer: Sony Clie, Treo, Tungsten, Zire). Hepatitis C Quicknotes is currently not available for Windows CE device (Pocket PC, iPAQ).
- Computer running Windows operating system (Windows '98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.)
- Download file: https://downloads.va.gov/files/webops/HEP_C_3_1.zip
- Double click on the zip file.
- WinZip should open showing the HEP_C_3.1.exe file
- Double click on this .exe file to open the install program. If warning appears, just click 'Yes' to open the file. (Please note: Many of the VA workstations do not permit downloading files from the Internet. Contact your local IRM for assistance.)
- The QuickNotes Setup window opens. Click 'Next' in the Hepatitis QuickNotes Installation window.
- Click 'Next' to install to the default location.
- If several Palm accounts use this machine, you will have to select the proper account for the HotSync process.
- Click 'Install.'
- Run HotSync from Palm. When done, click 'Finish.'
- Confirm that the Hepatitis QuickNotes program is now on your Palm device.