What Tests Do I Need? - Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease


Quick Links

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge
EBenefits Badge

What Tests Do I Need?

for Veterans and the Public

What Tests Do I Need? - Hepatitis C for Patients

There are usually only two blood tests that need to be done to determine if you have chronic hepatitis C.

The first test is called an "antibody" test. This tests looks to see if your body has developed antibodies to HCV (Antibodies are particles your body makes to fight off infections). This test is sometimes called an anti-HCV test. A positive antibody result means that, at some point in your life, you were exposed to the hepatitis C virus, and you developed antibodies to fight off the virus. (Another name for this antibody test is EIA.) But just having a positive antibody test does not mean you have chronic hepatitis C infection.

If your hepatitis C antibody test is positive, then a second test will be done to see if you still have the hepatitis C virus in your body. This test is called a hepatitis C viral load test (or RNA test). If this test is positive, you have chronic hepatitis C and should talk to your provider about treatment.

You do not need a liver biopsy to determine if you have hepatitis C.

For more details about these tests, go to Understanding Lab Tests.