for Veterans and the Public
How can you reduce the chances of spreading the hepatitis C virus through sexual contact? - Hepatitis C for Patients
To reduce this chance, follow these guidelines:
- Have sex with only one person, or not at all.
- Decrease the number of people you have sex with.
- Tell your sex partner(s) that you have hepatitis C and that it is unlikely, but still possible, to spread it to them.
Use latex condoms correctly and every time, especially if you
- have more than one sex partner;
- have 'rough' sex, which might make one of you bleed;
- have sex during your menstrual period or your partner's menstrual period;
- have sex when you or your partner has an open sore or cut on either of your genitals.
- are a man who has sex with men