for Veterans and the Public
Chronic Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Infection: Treatment Considerations - Hepatitis C
This revision (August 27, 2018) incorporates updates to treatment regimens for chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, including:
- Algorithms for HCV genotype 1 treatment-experienced patients (Figure 1)
- A new section on acute HCV
- Updates to liver transplant information
- Revisions to tables showing drug-drug interactions to provide clinicians with guidance on the concomitant use of HCV drugs and other drugs, including HIV antiretroviral agents (Table 23 and Table 24).
The Panel continues to recommend:
- HIV/HCV-coinfected patients receive the same HCV antiviral regimens as HCV-monoinfected patients unless ledipasvir/sofosbuvir is being considered, in which case a 12-week regimen should be used (instead of an 8-week regimen).
- HBV testing and monitoring prior to starting HCV DAA. Details can be found in Appendix D.