for Veterans and the Public
Protect others - Hepatitis C for Patients
If you have hepatitis C, you can give the virus to other people. This is true even if you are feeling perfectly fine.
To protect others from getting hepatitis C, follow these rules:
- Do not donate blood, body organs, tissues, or sperm.
- Do not let anyone else use your razor, toothbrush, or other personal care items.
- Cover open cuts or sores on your skin with a bandage until they have healed.
- Don't inject drugs. If you are currently injecting drugs, talk with your VA doctor about trying to stop. If you can't stop, don't ever share your needles or works with anyone else.
- Practice safer sex. Use a latex barrier, such as a condom (or rubber) every time you have sex. Using condoms also reduces your chances of getting sexually transmitted diseases.
Following the above suggestions also can help protect you from other diseases, such as HIV or AIDS and hepatitis B. Talk with your doctor if you would like more information about these conditions.